🏛️ Lieu
Patrimoine & Culture
L'Hôtel de Ville et son parc
📍 Bar-le-Duc, Meuse
· 12 rue Lapique, 55000 Bar-le-Duc
À propos
Built on the outskirts of the town in 1803, today?s Hôtel-de-Ville is the result of Marshal Charles-Nicolas Oudinot?s desire to have a home in his native town worthy of his position as a military officer. Built between courtyard and garden according to the aesthetic canons of the time, it was acquired by the municipality in 1868 to house its town hall and offer Barisiens a verdant park in the heart of the city.
The street façade features a sober central main building with two wings in return, preceded by two lower service buildings. On the garden side, the facade features a central projection supporting a triangular pediment. Three oculi and a large balcony enliven this section. Destroyed by fire in 1813, the hotel was rebuilt identically shortly afterwards.
Marshal Oudinot received Emperor Napoleon here on several occasions, who preferred his friend?s residence to the official prefecture building. The Duc de Berry, nephew of King Louis XVIII, was also received here in 1814. Nevertheless, Oudinot abandoned this residence for his Parisian home and the estate of the former Jean d?Heurs abbey, acquired in 1808.
As with this country residence, Oudinot placed great importance on the park, which he had designed in the English style of the time. Small buildings, known as fabriques, adorned the grounds, which are also crossed by the Canal des Usines. Opening the park to the public after 1868 necessitated a number of improvements, such as filling in the central pond in front of the hotel, and building a bandstand in 1887 to accommodate the concerts held there. In 1891, gates and a monumental gate in the colors and symbols of the Republic were erected in front of Rue du Château.
The street façade features a sober central main building with two wings in return, preceded by two lower service buildings. On the garden side, the facade features a central projection supporting a triangular pediment. Three oculi and a large balcony enliven this section. Destroyed by fire in 1813, the hotel was rebuilt identically shortly afterwards.
Marshal Oudinot received Emperor Napoleon here on several occasions, who preferred his friend?s residence to the official prefecture building. The Duc de Berry, nephew of King Louis XVIII, was also received here in 1814. Nevertheless, Oudinot abandoned this residence for his Parisian home and the estate of the former Jean d?Heurs abbey, acquired in 1808.
As with this country residence, Oudinot placed great importance on the park, which he had designed in the English style of the time. Small buildings, known as fabriques, adorned the grounds, which are also crossed by the Canal des Usines. Opening the park to the public after 1868 necessitated a number of improvements, such as filling in the central pond in front of the hotel, and building a bandstand in 1887 to accommodate the concerts held there. In 1891, gates and a monumental gate in the colors and symbols of the Republic were erected in front of Rue du Château.
🏛️ Lieux similaires à proximité